A very wonderful man died yesterday. As a child, I called him Uncle George and have continued to do so occaisonally as an adult. Uncle George was co-owner of a local funeral home, started by his father and uncle, continued by George, his brother and his children. In a small Southern town, this means he touched the lives of nearly every person to live here in the last 65 years. I don't know many people in this area who, upon hearing his name, didn't recognize it and usually have a story to tell. George was a truly amazing person. Always ready with a smile and hug for someone who needed it, he provided support and caring at one of the most difficult times in our lives. George and his family handled Shadow's final arrangements and gave me the love and encouragement I desperately needed.
I don't think George, or anyone in his family, ever saw what they do as just a job. For them, it seems to be more of a calling, an outpouring of compassion and an example of what is truly meant by "a generous heart."
I know his family is grieving, hurt more deeply than I am. My heart breaks for all of them, the son who was my childhood playmate, the daughter whose friendship I cherish as an adult. His wife and other children, who I admire and respect. All of them, my tears are more for them than for myself. George's passing leaves a hole in this town, one that can never be filled. I know that it is much deeper for them.
I've copied something over to include here which made me cry and smile (the bolding is mine):
George asked for this special message to be shared in his obituary: “To all my friends, family, and loved ones: I was able to love because you let me love!! Spread it daily. Never let a day go by that you don’t tell someone who needs it that you love them. I am alright with my God. He knows my heart. I bet my life on Him. I ain’t worried. May that peace be all of yours. And never forget that service to humanity is the best work of life. And that today is the first day of the rest of your life.”
Those words are so very much how George lived, a small view of a large heart. So I sit, wiping tears, mourning the loss of such an incredible person. Sad to think that those who never met Uncle George will be denied the privilege and pleasure of his company. And I, who has not truly prayed in years, offer up a sincere prayer that God welcomes Uncle George with open arms and grants grace to his family. Rest in peace Uncle George, you will be missed by all of us.
He sounds like a great man, (((morph))).
ReplyDeleteAw, morpho, I'm sorry! He will live on in the hearts of all he touched.
ReplyDelete