Thursday, December 20, 2007

O come all ye fruitcakes

Holidays bring out the best in people. And by best, I mean crazy as a cracked-out road lizard. Working in a book store sounds like a nice, quiet job, doesn't it?

I'm working on a list of Memorable Holiday Moments to post.

Creepiest Christmas Memory:
This happened at the very beginning of the holiday season. I was shelving some used paperbacks in the back of the store when I heard a guy say "Man, you smell good!" I turned around and there is a complete stranger standing behind me, sniffing. I guess my expression must have clued him in to how shocked I was, since he mumbled something and left. Hasn't been back either, so that's one Christmas gift checked off the list.

Most Amusing Customer:
The brunette who bought John Folse's After the Hunt cookbook for her in-laws. She said her FIL was an enthusiastic hunter so he would love the book. On the other hand, her MIL was going to be angry, since MIL would think getting a cookbook was an insult. "She's a terrible cook, but she doesn't know it. She thinks everything she cooks is delicious. So she will think I am saying she is a bad cook, which she totally is. I'm a good cook and I would love to get this book. She's a horrible cook and she won't even appreciate getting this." I asked her if her MIL was really that bad. Her reply: "She put mayonnaise in her lasagna once. She said she ran out of cheese and some other stuff so she just added mayo instead." Glad I don't have to eat Christmas dinner at that house!

I've got a few more stories and I'm sure with 5 days left 'til Christmas I'll have others to add.

2 comments:

  1. hope you had a good day today, hon, with stories to tell, lol.

    mayo in lasagna! too much!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. busy but good
    the whole thing was even funnier when the customer told it. cajun/italian mix very hyper and expressive. i really didn't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)