Tuesday, December 11, 2007

All I want for Christmas...

Is a new hobby for T. Pyromania is no longer an option.
About 10 days before Thanksgiving, T tore his rotator cuff. We found out today the surgery won't be until the end of January. Followed by 6 weeks of immobilization and then therapy. He's going to be home for 2 or 3 more months.
Saturday I came home from work to see the driveway on fire. T decided he didn't like grass growing in the driveway, but instead of cutting it, he thought it would be better to burn it. So he raked all of the leaves and pine straw in the yard into neat piles on either side of the driveway, doused them and lit up. When I pulled up, he was standing between two lines of flames, grinning. I asked how the hell I was supposed to park my car and he says "Just drive through it." At least he was enjoying himself.
T works on pipelines, so most of the year he is on the road. Out of the last 12 months, he's been home maybe 30 days. I love seeing him, but after 48 hours of not working he is bored and looking for something to do. Somehow that ends up being whatever is going to inconvenience or upset me the most. Usually, it involves dousing something and setting it on fire. The patio, a stump which smoldered for a month, old papers he didn't think I needed and now the driveway. You name it, he's probably torched it.
Last night, he complained that my books and papers were scattered all over the house and offered to help me organize them. I'm praying I don't go home to a bonfire tonight.

He really, really needs a new hobby. One that is not going to aggravate the shoulder injury, but doesn't require him to sit still and be quiet. Any suggestions are welcome.
Or contributions to my legal defense fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Our best thoughts come from others." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)