I haven't the faintest idea how long this is going to last. I may put stuff out here on a regular basis, and then again, I may not.
Since this is the place for my mental wanderings, there is no theme. There's no telling what's going to end up here. If someone else reads it, fine. If no one but me ever sees this, that's good too.
This digitalized reality is a very strange place. Some of it is scary, a lot of it is funny, and occasionally it's heart breaking. There's no map here, no warnings of "Here Be Dragons!". You just have to plunge in and hope you don't get eaten. The natives are restless, and you never know whether your next encounter will be with a cannibal, a chimera, or just another explorer out for a stroll. Sometimes you meet a friendly native who points you a little further along the way. I wouldn't want to live here, but visiting is certainly interesting, if not always fun.
I find that people out here will say anything, anytime, without regards to "real world" customs. We take on and put off masks so easily here. Being the person you wish you were is a nice fantasy. Sometimes spewing venom is easier when you don't have to see the results in person. And if you are too shy or nervous to deal with people in real life, anonymity is a relief. There is a feeling of freedom here, saying whatever you want without worrying about whether it's right or wrong.
Certainly nothing in this initial post is new or earth shaking. That's why the title is "baby steps". I'm not going for world changing. I just want to see if I am brave enough to put something of myself further out into the world and deal with the consequences. And maybe I just want to say all the things I bite my tongue on in real life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That said, a butterfly takes wing.
ReplyDelete