Resurrection
Fires burning
to melt this Ice
River of Life flows
through my soul
again, waking the Garden
pain of Birth equaled
only by the pleasure of living
Winter's Darkness fades
as the madness of spring
over takes my mind
and I return from
Death again to
Celebrate another year
Fires burning
to melt this Ice
River of Life flows
through my soul
again, waking the Garden
pain of Birth equaled
only by the pleasure of living
Winter's Darkness fades
as the madness of spring
over takes my mind
and I return from
Death again to
Celebrate another year
Nothing comes without a price. Feeling again means opening myself, not just to pleasure, but to pain as well. Learning to trust means learning to live through betrayal. And for every joy celebrated, pain must be endured. This poem is, on the surface, about celebrating the return of spring. I dread winter every year, wait impatiently for warmer weather. It's also about living through the winters of the spirit. The times when our souls seem to freeze and everything around us is dull and gray. If we allow it, the light will return. Everything explodes into color and warmth. It's not easy or painless. If you've lived in shadows for a time the light can burn your eyes. And everything seems so overwhelming. Coping with a resurrection of the spirit can be as painful as the loss that dragged you down. It is a madness, the need to touch, see, taste everything all at the same time. To gorge oneself with experiences, to seize every moment and wring it dry of every nuance. Until exhaustion forces a period of contemplation. A moment to sit and put these events into perspective, organize them into my mind. And add these occasions to my memories, these sights to my eyes, these tastes to my tongue. A weary bacchante, temporarily sated.
Yes, when the ice cracks, and the river flows free, it floods, doesn't it? And it's only later that it returns to a slower, gentler stream.
ReplyDeleteyes. it is not a gentle, easy process. but mostly, it's worth it.
ReplyDeletebtw, my inspiration for this one was reading yours today. thanks!
I've been in those dark places before, but I could *thankfully* always see the light in the distance. It was like spring after winter. I just had to be patient and keep my head up.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful post, M-A.
ReplyDeleteYou know what...I've seen your blog a lot of times, I don't think I've ever commented before though.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why...
When I read this for some reson I think of rivers unfreezing and coming back to life, but I think that's what you intended too.
Cool poem.
m-a
ReplyDeleteYou are so good at describing things. I always enjoy everything you have to say on here. The dessert was awesome too! ♥
I like how you described how it is to feel. I know exactly what you mean. It IS an exhausting process, but the good is worth it. :) But during those times when you're feeling the bad, I keep thinking maybe unfeeling robots have it right. *sigh*
ReplyDeletehaizum - even the bad can sometimes feel good (i enjoy a good crying jag occaisonally)- i think intense emotion of any kind is worthwhile and should be explored.
ReplyDeletefantasy - glad you liked the dessert and the posts. i don't think i am all that great at describing things but thank you for the compliment ♥
crash - yeah the ice breaking up was kinda what i was going for, jagged edges and rushing water all at once. overwhelming, just like emotions are, so easy to get sucked under and never come up.